This guide to Redstone Arsenal contains a history of the Arsenal, complete with pictures of "Army Missiles of the Past" and details about the Army Commands stationed there, as well as descriptions of the amenities, facilities, and social opportunities available on base and in the Huntsville area.
Old State Bank, built 1832 by architect George Steele. The building housed the bank and second floor living quarters for banking residence as required by early law. Built in Greek Revival styles. Used as a hospital during the Battle of Decatur. Restored once in the 1930s. Located on Bank St., Decatur, Alabama.
Dr. William Murphey House, built c. 1818. Log and stone house renovated with the help of Trico Steel Company and the Alabama Historical Commission. Dr. Murphey owned a large plantation as well. Located on Glenwood Rd., near Decatur, Alabama.
Harris served as a private in Company F of the 149th Indiana Infantry Regiment, which occupied Decatur, Alabama in 1865. He enrolled at Terre Haute, Indiana, on February 15, 1865 at the age of twenty. Harris records his experiences as a soldier and traces his journey south to Decatur. Harris also describes his interactions with locals in North Alabama, writing in April 1865 that he "halted to talk with a family of Rebbs questioning concerning their so-called independence but found out nothing of importance Except that ther hopes had fled." He also includes descriptions of skirmishes in which he took part, as well as lengthy descriptions of the terrain and weather. Harris adds his comments on the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and writes down song lyrics and poetry at points. Harris was discharged on September 27, 1865.